It’s a well-known fact that being overweight can cause a prolapse. Yet shifting the excess pounds is often easier said than done, and finding the motivation to lose weight, if you’re suffering from uterus pain or have recently endured prolapse surgery, can be tricky.
Fortunately, there are lots of safe, simple and painless ways to shed the pounds, without requiring much effort. Here are 10 top tips:
1. Ditch sugary drinks, and instead sip on fruit teas or lemon-infused water, if you require a sweet kick to your beverages.
2. Increase your water intake – it can make you feel fuller.
3. Many people don’t realise that alcohol can pile on the pounds. Cutting back by just one or two drinks a week can make a difference to your health.
4. In need of a sweet fix? Before you dive into the biscuit tin, snack on a handful of grapes or dried fruit to satiate your sugar craving.
5. Low impact exercise is preferential following a sacrohysteropexy procedure, so choose gentle walking to aid your recovery and to lose weight. Get off the bus one stop earlier, or walk to the corner shop instead of hopping in the car.
6. Incorporate exercise into your daily routine, so it doesn’t feel like a burden. Consider cycling to work, if feasible, or taking the stairs at the office instead of the lift.
7. Get a dog – you’ll benefit from the exercise of walking it, but will also enjoy the company. Experts even suggest having a pet is good for our health, and can help with recovery and healing.
8. There’s no need to make too many sacrifices on the foods you love – simply swap full fat versions for low fat or reduced fat options. You won’t notice much of a difference in taste.
9. Glued to a desk all day long? Don’t spend your lunch break surfing the internet, instead get up and go out for a quick stroll.
10. Start the day with a healthy, carbohydrate and fibre rich breakfast, to stop hunger pangs and snacking throughout the day.
If you have any questions about your condition and would like some help, please contact us.